The goal of the WeTHRIVE!℠ School Initiative is to improve health, safety, and learning for all children through engagement, coordination, and collaboration of school and community partners and resources.
WeTHRIVE! helps school districts create environments that support and encourage a healthy and safe place to learn, work, and play.
WeTHRIVE! schools use the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model to guide their efforts. The ten components of the WSCC model are:
- Health Education
- Physical Education & Physical Activity
- Nutrition Environment & Services
- Health Services
- Counseling, Psychological, & Social Services
- Social & Emotional Climate
- Physical Environment
- Employee Wellness
- Family Engagement
- Community Involvement
Health is Academic
- Health and education affect individuals, society, and the economy and should work together whenever possible.
- Health-related factors like hunger, physical and emotional abuse, and chronic illness can lead to poor school performance.
- Health-risk behaviors like violence, physical inactivity, and early sexual initiation are regularly linked to poor grades and test scores, and lower educational achievement.
- School health strategies can have positive effects on educational outcomes, as well as health-risk behaviors and health outcomes.
- Integrating health services and programs more deeply into the day-to-day life of schools and students represents an untapped tool for raising academic achievement and improving learning.
Meet our WeTHRIVE! School Districts!
Stories from Our Schools
- Social connections are key for healthy people & communities
- Winton Woods Food Service takes it to the next level
- Schools use stipends to benefit students, teachers, and families
- Fridays in the garden with North College Hill
- Miami Township does healthy food access with a twist
- WeTHRIVE! schools & partners connect for good of students (Part 4)
- WeTHRIVE! schools & partners connect for good of students (Part 3)
- WeTHRIVE! schools & partners connect for good of students (Part 2)
- WeTHRIVE! schools & partners connect for good of students (Part 1)
- Annual event celebrates WeTHRIVE! communities & schools