Bringing a farmer’s market to a food desert is not an easy task, but the Reading WeTHRIVE! team is doing just that. The Reading Farmer’s Market is held on the first and third Fridays of the month through September.
“Last year, we organized two market days where we purchased produce wholesale and resold it,” said Donna Wiggins, WeTHRIVE! neighborhood navigator for Reading. “This year, we have farmers bringing fresh fruits, vegetables, and more to our new location in the city’s bridal district.”
The location at the corner of Reading Road and Benson Street is a great spot for visibility. “Each market we’ve seen more and more people attend and I hope that trend continues throughout the summer,” Donna said.
Mike Eck, a farm fresh food access/food justice advocate, helped the WeTHRIVE! team find local farmers who were willing to bring their harvest to a new, small market. “They support our desire to bring fresh produce to our city, which does not have a local grocery store,” Donna said.
- Just Farmin’
- Bluegrass Belties Farm & Orchard
- Kylie’s Acre
- Silver Creek Mystic Treats
- Bothe Woodworking
- Gertz Garden Center
“People are raving about the quality of our tomatoes and other items,” Donna said. “They give us feedback in person and on Facebook. Everyone’s thankful to have a source of fresh produce in the city.”
“Donna has been the spearhead for this project,” said Sabrina Smith, WeTHRIVE! neighborhood navigator for Reading. “This has not been an easy task but she takes on every obstacle with a level head and her overall love of Reading.”
The Reading Farmer’s Market is held from 4:00pm until 7:00pm on the first and third Fridays of the month through September. For more information, visit the market’s Facebook page (@ReadingFarmerMarket).
Besides the Farmer’s Market, the Reading WeTHRIVE! team organizes Adopt-a-Pot, the summer park passport program, and more. The team meets on the third Tuesday of every month from 6-7pm at the Reading Branch Library on Reading Road. Everyone is welcome! Get in touch by email (WeTHRIVEreading@gmail.com) or on Facebook (@WeTHRIVEReading).
Check out our other stories featuring the city of Reading:
- Reading resident is a WeTHRIVE! champion
- Reading couple honored for community spirit
- Walking with purpose in Reading
- Farmer’s market flourishes in Reading
- Meet our 2020 community champions
- Reading Farmer’s Market has a friend in Farmer Steve
- Reading WeTHRIVE! team launches farmer’s market
- Donna Wiggins is Reading’s new WeTHRIVE! neighborhood navigator
- Sabrina Smith is Reading’s WeTHRIVE! neighborhood navigator
- Little Free Pantry helps feed the working poor in Reading